Points of the night:
- >> We don’t know how much longer we could stand the three musketeers acting as judges, brownnosing these karaoke-singing-neophytes. They are paid millions to guide audiences who to vote for. They are paid millions to guide these hopefuls become better singers, work on their skills. If all 13 of them are “unbelievable,” “stupendous,” “you got it, man,” – why the heck are they still competing? Just declare them all winners!!! Thanks heavens for DVRs and the fast forward button!!
- >> What’s up with Ryan Seascrest’s hair?!
- >> For this week, the producers pick the songs for the contestants from a list of songs the contestants picked. Isn’t that always the case?!! No matter what the contestants pick, ultimately, it’s always the producers shoving the songs in their throats that is picked. We’ve heard too many contestants share during post show interviews that they were forced to sing a song or that the song wasn’t their choice.
Check out who we think should go home and our Top 3 standouts of the night down below…
- Reed Grimm- “Moves Like Jagger” by Maroon 5
NOoooooo! Jazz and Jagger don’t mix! You can’t sing lyrics like: “Take me by the tongue
And I’ll know you
Kiss me ’til you’re drunk
And I’ll show you
all the moves like Jagger
I got the moves like Jagger
I got the mooooooves… like Jagger” — and get away with it Jazz/bluesy style. This is a hip song from Adam Levine and Christina Aguillera and Reed is trying too hard ‘making it his own’.
- Adam Brock – “Think” by Aretha Franklin
Give this song some rest on Idol. If you must sing it, be sensational at it! Adam wasn’t. For someone who thinks he’s a black woman trapped in a guy’s body, he lacked soul singing this one…
- Deandre Brackensick – “Reasons” by Earth, Wind and Fire
Too much hair tossing, we forgot we were supposed to be listening to his falsetto. Next…
- Colton Dixon- “Decode” by Paramore
Colton is Top 10 material and dare we say he’s going all the way fighting into the Top 3. Don’t care what this guy is singing; he’s got so much stage presence he sucks you in to whatever he’s doing or singing. He’s got our votes!!
- Jeremy Rosado- “Gravity” by Sara Bareilles
During the pre-interview with Ryan, Jeremey said “AMAZING” not once, not twice but four times in under a minute!! Don’t care if you can sing. If you can’t expand your vocabulary, you can’t be on live TV. For that, you need to go home.
- Aaron Marcellus – “Never Can Say Goodbye” by The Jackson 5
First undeserved standing ovation from the judges. First “WTF?!!!” of the night. We thought he was off key in parts and pitch-y in places. Why were the judges giving him standing o? We haven’t got the clue. Are we deaf?? or are the judges?!
- Chase Likens – “Storm Warning” by Hunter Hayes We are not fond of country, particularly this kind of country. Totally forgettable. He’s going home.
- Creighton Fraker – “True Colors” by Cyndi Lauper
Overkill. Why would a soul man pick a singer songwriter kind of tune? It just doesn’t sit right. He was over the top shouting this tender song.
- Phillip Phillips – “In The Air Tonight” by Phil Collins
We don’t like this guy because while he makes the song his own and makes it unique, the result is the same. He sounds exactly like all the songs he sings. We wouldn’t be able to stand listening to a 12-track record sounding all the same. The good news is out of the twelve, he came out the best of them all with his original take on the song ala Dave Matthews… Just because no one else stood out and wowed us, he wins this round. He will be with Colton in the Top 10 if not the finale. Win us over again, Phillip?? Surprise us! 🙂
- Eben Franckewitz – “Set Fire to the Rain” by Adele
Second “WTF??!!!” of the night! REALLY, EBEN?!! You took on an Adele song- with its powerful, rich lyrics with your undeveloped pre-puberty voice? Just doesn’t go together. You were all over the place. The song, the stage and the instruments swallowed you whole!! Everything was too big for you to take on… You were the WORST of the night. The good news is you aren’t going home because you got the teeny-bopper, Justin Beiber-Grayson Chance voters who all have unlimited text messaging and are attached to their phones/laptops. They won’t stop voting til their thumbs bleed.
- Heejun Han – “Angels” by Robbie Williams
Not sure why he would pick this song but watching his mom dance on TV and his back story were heartwarming enough for us. We are rooting for this guy! He should be given another chance.
- Joshua Ledet – “You Pulled Me Through” by Jennifer Hudson
The second standing o of the night and rightfully so. The beginning was ok but towards the end, he was pretty incredible. He should be safe.
- Jermaine Jones – “Dance With My Father” by Luther Vandross
Third standing o from the judges. He was all right. We didn’t care for it; but it may win him votes!
WHO SHOULD BE GOING HOME:
PS. Must we point out that the judges are taking EXTRA EFFORT to try to SAVE any if not all three of the African-American contestants. They overpraised and gave all three the only standing ovations of the night. Just saying…